Parasitic infestations in hybrid surubim catfish fry (Pseudoplatystoma reticulatum x P. corruscans)
ABSTRACT. Pádua S.B., Ishikawa M.M., Kasai R.Y.D., Jerônimo G.T., Carrijo-Mauad J.R. [Parasitic infestations in hybrid surubim catfish fry (Pseudoplatystoma reticulatum x P. corruscans)]. Infestações parasitárias em alevinos de surubim hí- brido (Pseudoplatystoma reticulatum x P. corruscans). Revista Brasileira de Medicina Veterinária, 34(3):235-240, 2012. Centro de Aquicultura, Unesp (CAUNESP), Rod. Paulo Donato Castellane, s/n, Bairro Rural, Jaboticabal, SP 14884-900, Brazil. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org This study evaluated parasitic infestations in the hybrid surubim catfish (Pseudoplatystoma reticulatum ♀ x P. corruscans ♂) during the initial phase of rearing. 50 fish of lengths ranging from 5.7 to 20.3 cm and weights from 1.2 to 48.8 g were examined. Among the fish evaluated, only 15 (30%) were parasite-free, while at least one type of parasite was diagnosed in all of the other 35 (70%). Among these, the protozoan Ichthyophthirius multifiliis, Epistylis sp. and Trichodina sp. were observed. Occurrences of myxosporidians were seen, represented by Henneguya sp. and a metazoan belonging to the class Monogenoidea. The ciliated protozoa I. multifiliis, Epistylis sp. and Trichodina sp. were the main parasites infesting the gills and tegument of hybrid catfish fry. The peritrichid Epistylis sp. may be an emerging parasite in Brazil.
Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication, with the work simultaneously licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC 4.0), allowing the sharing of work with acknowledgement of the authorship of the work and initial publication in this journal. They may take additional contracts separately, with acknowledgement of authorship and initial publication in this journal. They are authorized to publish and distribute their work online after publication by BJVM.
The AUTHOR is informed and agrees with the journal that, therefore, its article may be incorporated into existing databases and scientific information systems (indexers and current databases) or existing in the future (indexers and future databases), under the conditions defined by the latter at all times, which shall at least involve the possibility that the holders of these databases may perform the following actions on the article: Reproduce, transmit and distribute the article, in whole or in part in any form or means of electronic transmission existing or developed in the future, including electronic transmission for research, viewing and printing purposes; extract figures, tables, illustrations, and other graphic objects, and capture metadata, captions, and related articles for search, preview, and print purposes. Scan and/or store images and electronic article text.